Sunday, February 27, 2011

Owen's Cardiology Update

James and I took Owen to the Pediatric Cardiologist on Thursday, to check on the heart murmur that his Pediatrician heard a few weeks back.  I asked a few people if they thought a heart murmur was serious and everyone told me the same things.  (1) they can be (2) most times aren't (3) kids normally outgrow them.  So I felt really good about heading into the office.

When we got there we went back to a room and they turned on Baby Einstein to distract Owen, while the testing was being done.  Boy! That was a huge help for me!  I hate going to the Dr.and I needed a distraction myself!  I had to get up on the hospital bed with Owen and hold him, so it felt like I was the patient again.  Just remembering our stay in the hospital back in December....I knew things would be ok, but my heart was pounding and I was sweating.  What if?

They did a Sono on his heart and he did so well.  He sat so still and we watched the video together, calling out all the cars and trucks that we saw. After about 25 minutes he began to get annoyed with the jelly on his chest and started rolling around.  We had to break out all the tricks to keep him still!  His Daddy's Blackberry did the trick!  Once that was over they did an EKG.  Then we went to another room and waited.  I hate waiting for stuff like this, but Owen was so amped up after missing his afternoon nap and having sat still for 30 min in my arms, that he was getting into everything and keeping us busy.  Finally, the Dr came in.  She said, Owen's heart looks and sounds great, but we did see something that will warrant him coming back once a year.  She told us he has a very small Fistula on his heart (an extra blood vessel) that shouldn't be there.  She said it isn't hurting him, but they will keep and eye on it to make sure it doesn't grow larger over the years and or take blood away from the heart.  I was so shocked!  I did not expect her to say this.  She said this had nothing at all to do with the murmur, which is why we were sent there in the first place. She said  it was a random thing they just happened to find.  She said, you just have a special little boy!  Yes, we do!

So the murmur isn't of any concern to her and won't be looked at further. That was great news!  The Fistula really isn't a concern for her either, but she has to keep an eye on it.  So we will be going back to the Cardiologist for a Sono every February until they release him.  Turns out Bryce, my nephew was diagnosed with the same thing as a baby.  I take great comfort in knowing he has done well and never suffered any heart issues or surgeries from his Fistula.  The Dr. said Owen can have an active childhood without worry.  So that's just what we will do!  I asked her if the Fistulas could be genetic since I knew Bryce had the same thing and she said no, and it would be a very slim chance that another family member could have the same thing.  So this made me wonder if a lot of babies have them and we just don't know because they aren't having a Sono done.... Who knows?  James and I left there feeling good about the report (a little thrown off) but good.  We hope and pray this never goes anywhere.  So long story short, Owen's heart is uniquely healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment