Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Owen Goes to the Hospital



Where to begin...Well, little Owen woke up at 2am on Sunday morning  (he hasn't woken up in months) so I knew something was up. I ran in his room and he was very hot. I thought, Oh no here we go again!  He's already had 3 cold this season....So I picked him up to go check his temp and he let out a bark of a cough and that was unsettling. I knew immediately it was going to be a long night. We took his temp and made him as comfortable as we could...meaning he slept on my chest until 7am. I was exhausted after being awake all night with him so James let me sleep in and he looked over Owen that next morning. (Seems like he's always getting sick on the weekend so we can't get him to his pediatrician.) So I woke around 10am and Owen still had a fever and was not himself. The cough now had added wheezing. I remember from a conversation I had with a nurse she told me a cough is one thing, but if you hear wheezing you got to get to the dr fast.

So we loaded him up and went over to the urgent care. We waited for over an hour to see a Dr. Meanwhile, Owen was getting worse and his fever was rising. I was getting so nervous at this point. I'd never seen him like this. The Dr. tested him for strep and RSV. Told us they were negative, gave him a does of Tylenol and sent us home. When we got back home, I told him I didn't have a good feeling. I knew Owen was not going to recover on his own without some medication. He was very sick. So we did what the Dr. said - we watched him. We watched him get worse and worse. I was up ALL night with him. Finally at 2 am his breathing was labored and he was struggling to get a full breath. He was wheezing a lot more and crying. He was drooling too. I got James up at 4 am and said, Hunny I am really worried now. We need to do something. I just didn't think he could wait until 10am to call the Pediatrician. So we loaded up again and went to the ER.

Once we were there they knew immediately what he had. They said he had a textbook case of Croup. I've heard of Croup before, but man it's nasty. Owen's cough was like a deep bark. He wheezed and gurgled! They started him on some medication and breathing treatments. Unfortunately, they just didn't help fast enough so they admitted him overnight. With each hour that passed he got better. Which was such a relief to see! He did so well too. He only cried when they were putting in his IV. Mommy and Daddy nearly broke down and cried too. That was just awful. It took 3 nurses and James and I to hold him still. The first IV in his little hand failed so they put it in his foot. That was an ordeal because he wanted to stand on that foot. So it was a challenge to keep him settled and off his foot for a day. And that meant I got to hold him for another day. That night we finally were able to get him to sleep by himself in the crib. It was heart breaking to hear him cry for me to hold him. So many times I had to leave the room and walk around until he would settle for sleep. That was so difficult for me. I was exhausted and my arms just couldn't hold him in that awful upright chair...but I didn't want to upset him...I was so torn. He would cry out Nahnah, Nahnah, Nahnah! And then reach out with his little arms and wiggle his fingers for me to pick him up. Oh that was terrible to see! After a little over 24hrs in the hospital they let us go home. Thank goodness! 

So Im glad to report that Owen has done so well. He is feeling much better and getting back to his old ways. I know he's feeling better because he's a little feisty again! What a scare that little boy gave us! Home just in time for Santa to pay us a visit.



Here are some pictures that James captured from his cell phone.  Anjoli, notice I brought his blankie along.  So glad since we slept there.  That's his magic blankie!


Waiting in the ER

Sick Little Boy

Just got his IV in

And hospital gown on. Not so sure he wants to stay the night.

In his room

Starting to perk up!

Hold me Nahnah!

The nurses were so sweet and brought him toys

Playing in his crib

Daddy thought his foot looked like a frog
Mommy couldn't wait for this to come out!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Amanda!!! I am so sorry to hear this. So glad he is better and you have all gotten rest. Bless his heart! Hope ya'll have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad he is o.k. this story brought tears to my eyes. I know how hard it is being in the hospital. I am so glad his blanket brought him comfort and that he is o.k.

    ReplyDelete