Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A day in the life of a SAHM

Well, we broke down this weekend and purchased Owen a big boy highchair.  We had been using his little Bumbo seat and tray, but he was leaning over  and it was making it way too hard to get the food in his mouth.  It was a feeding mess and I wasn't enjoying the process very much, but this new high chair has a 5 point harness - he's trapped.  He thinks it's really cool that I can roll him around.  And of course, I make a sound like a car for him.  Whatever works!  He's still a little small for it, but overall it is working out nicely.  Oh, and is my son the only one who likes to poop whenever in his highchair?



Ok, it's official - we have a baby.  Hahaha!  Every square inch of our house has baby items.  I try really hard to keep most of it out of sight until we need it, but we are now over taken with baby gear.  Before, I would pick all the toys/stuff up each night and now I only do it if I know someone is coming over.  It's always a little messy, but hey - what are you going to do?  It's baby land!  So beware if you are to drop by unannounced!  I'm sure it bothers me more than anyone else.  I like for things to be put away, but I just can't keep up or either I have given up?


Today Owen and I went to meet up with my Mom Group.  We all brought recipes and made baby food.  When we were done we shared the recipes and I got to bring home several different things.  Owen hasn't had many of the ingredients, so I have to be good about labeling and then introducing each one separately for 3 days.  I never knew how much work was involved in starting them out on solids.  We made some very interesting stuff like, beef tenderloin with veggies, Indian rice with spices, asparagus risotto, zucchini and basil, and a smoothie with tofu and berries.  I have it all in the freezer now and looks like Owen will be eating well for the next few months.  I baked sweet potatoes last night and will turn those into food for him later tonight.  I have tasted all of these and they are great, with the exception of the texture and color, but they're really tasty. Pureed meat looks awful and smells of meat -  it's strange, but taste good.  The babies seem to really like it.

 


 We have been really busy running around lately.  Owen has been going to the gym with me 4 days a week.  He really likes the girl who watches him there.  More importantly she really loves him.  I have recently set up a weekly coffee talk, with my Mom Group and we start that next week.  I am working hard to build up my support/network of new friends.  You really start to miss the social aspect of work when you are home with a baby everyday. Well, it least I do!  But I figure it's also good for Owen.  He needs to socialize with other kids and people too.  So hard to believe I stopped working six months ago.  I miss my job some days.  I miss the crazy clients - ok only a little.  I really miss the people I worked with at Hyatt.  So if you are reading, you are missed. 

For some reason,  I can hardly remember my life before Owen.  He is all consuming (not in a bad way) but the way that babies are.  Just bits and pieces of my old life pop in sometimes.  Seems like he has always been with me.  How strange is that?  Like I knew him before I really knew him.  Like we go way back and much further than six months. And again, I don't mean that in a bad way.  I guess when you are fully immersed in something you can't see outside of it.  Owen has changed my whole world!  I never really knew how much I could love him, not even when I would rub the back of his head each day (when he was still in his happy place.)  I would sing and talk to him  and I thought I loved him so much then, but I never knew how much my love could and would grow.  This still amazes me!

Owen at 1 week old

OK, enough rambling.   Well, I better run!  Somebody needs a NAP and ASAP! 

Just got back.  Owen was crying and Leo was barking.  I ran down to check on Leo.  OMG!  Leo had eaten a pair of underware and threw them back up - WHOLE.  HOW? WHY? HELP ME!!!!  Just another day in the life of a SAHM.  (Stay -At- Home Mom)

I will laugh to keep from crying :)

1 comment:

  1. It is time to find a new home for Leo. You are so strong and your story brought tears to my eyes today. love you!

    ReplyDelete