Monday, August 16, 2010

What A Week!

This past week has been a little crazy!

On Wednesday James and I went to the hospital to visit his sister Cassandra.  She was admitted last Friday and was very sick.  She was there 9 days and had two surgeries and 4 blood transfusions.  She is finally home and resting now.  What a scare that was!  We were so glad to hear she is doing much better now.

Then on Thursday we had an extremely hot day with high humidity that brought on some horrible thunder storms with wind gust up to 70 miles an hour.  We live in a very old neighborhood with some very large old trees.  When the wind is strong you can see these oak tress swaying and it's pretty scary.  We also have a dead oak tree in the back yard that needs to be cut down. So every time a storm comes I fear that tree is going to hit the house.  We had an earthquake a few weeks ago!  The house shook and rumbled so hard it woke us up, then a few days later we had a horrible storm that brought down big limbs.  It seems never ending lately!  This past big storm on Thursday morning had me out of bed at 7am.  I was pacing the house with Owen.  I called James to tell him I was nervous.  He said not to worry and try to go back to bed.  I swear, I feel I have a sixth sense!  I knew not to get back in bed.  It was bad out!  It was black and the trees we rocking.  As soon as I got off the phone with him it got worse.  I called out a few choice words and ran for the basement, Owen on my hip and phone in hand.  My knees we knocking!  Then the power went out.  There we were in the basement me, Owen and the dogs in the pitch black with no power and storm beating down on us. Then  I thought, why haven't we made an emergency kit and stored it down here?  Ok, on the list of things to do now, along with getting that tree cut down.  We came up a few minutes later to find some minor damage to our back yard.  When the rain stopped we walked outside to see everyone on our street in pjs.  The neighborhood was hit hard.  There were trees down on top of houses. There over 50 condemn homes in our area and people and families are displaced.  We are very lucky to be home!


So Friday I wake up still a little tense from the day before.  I started my day off same as always, but this morning was different.  I sat down on the couch and looked at my cell phone. I just stared at it for a few minutes.  Then I thought, maybe I should check my phone, maybe someone called me in the night.  I have no idea why I would think this.  I never look at my cell in the mornings.  It just inst apart of my routine these days.  It's normally noon or later before I even look at it.  But on this morning something was telling me to open it up.  I was shocked to see 3 text messages from Anjoli.  Before I could even open them up to read them, my heart began to pound.  I knew something was up.  First I read that she is in the hospital and waiting to have Aidan.  Next one says she had him on Friday morning at 3:08am.  My heart was beating so fast I thought I might puke.  She is 6 weeks early!  That's all I could think about.  I knew I would not be ok until I heard her voice.  I called her cell, no answer.  I began emailing mutual friends for information.  Everyone was waiting to hear from her.   I reached out to Rachel for some support since she had just gone through this with Matthew.  I needed some reassurance that she and Aidan were ok.  Finally the call came in, it was Anjoli!  She was ok and Aidan was in the NICU, but doing well.  Once I was able to talk to her I felt better.  Still I couldn't relax really.  Owen and I stayed home all day just in case she called or anything changed.  My heart was breaking and knowing that the road ahead would be a long one.  But if there is one thing I know, it's that Anjoli and Michael can do this.  They are very strong and for Aidan they will do anything.  Aidan is lucky to have such selfless parents.  I am praying that this time passes quickly and that he gets to come home soon to be with his Mommy and Daddy.



Saturday was a little better.  I was able to Skype with Anjoli and Michael while they were still in recovery.  Anjoli looked great!  I am so glad I bought that webcam to keep up with her a few weeks ago.  It has really been a life saver for me.  So thank you webcam!

On another note, we noticed that Owen's right bottom tooth has finally broken the skin.  After last week of a low grade fever and some fussy night, it's finally here.  It's coming in fast now!  Also, he has started to try and crawl.  I am predicting within 2 weeks he will be crawling.  He can really get up on all 4s now and rock back and forth.  Each day hes getting up higher! 




Owen is growing up too fast now!  He held his own bottle the other day.  He used his hands and his feet to hold it.  And looked just like the little monkey boy that he is.  He has also started to turn the pages of his books for us and mumbles like he is reading the pages.  That is the cutest thing ever!  Lately he laughs really hard and loud for us, especially when James tickles him.  Here he is sitting in the buggy for the first time. 


Saturday night, James and I went on our first real date in almost a year and a half.  Its had been so long that it was nostalgic!  We had a sitter come over, we got dressed up and headed for DC to the Improv.  One of our favorite pre-married hang outs.  As we drove away the car the radio played the Black Eyed Peas for us again, "Tonight's gonna be a good night."  How funny, the same song that we brought Owen into the world was now playing on the night that we would leave him behind for the first time.  James would not let me text the sitter, only to tell her we were on the way home.  We had a blast!  I woke up today and felt like myself again.  I was energized!  Laughing is the best medicine.  We did a lot of laughing!  




So my crazy week is coming to an end now.  I just talked to Anjoli again on Skype and today is a harder day for her, but I knew today would be and was glad to see her and hear her voice.  She said Aidan had a harder day too with his breathing and of course that was upsetting for her to see.  She is at home now, waiting to take a nap and to get back to the hospital to visit him.  She is doing well considering what all she has gone through in the past two days. Please keep her and Michael in your thoughts and prayers.  We love Aidan so much already and won't fully rest until he's home in his Mommy's arms.

God sent you the best he had the blessings of baby hands and ten small toes that came in rows Imported from Angel Lands! God blessed the little darling and to earth sent you this joy; He has won Our hearts already Your blessed baby boy. I send you the best I have a wish that is big and true; That God will bless with tenderness His dear little gift and you!


 Aidan David Ferguson
"Little Fire"
Born: August 13th 2010
 

2 comments:

  1. What a post!!! That weather is so scary! I am so glad ya'll are ok and not too much damage at your house. That sweet boy is getting so big!! I love him sitting in the buggy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a chance to get away for a few hours. I love all the pictures he is changing so much. Watch out for the biteing days ahed. He will be walking before Chirstmas. Look ot tree here I come.

    ReplyDelete