Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mommy's Little Angel

While Owen is between feedings, I thought I would take a moment to reflect on this past month with him.  On Friday he will be two months old and we have our big check up for his vaccines.  I hope this goes smoothly for us both.  Time really seems to be flying by now that we can get out and about more freely.  The days seem to go by much faster.  We've had some beautiful warm days and have even gotten out with the dogs and Daddy for a stroller ride.  Since he's growing and changing so rapidly, I try to take a few pictures every couple of days and when I look back at them, I can hardly believe he was once so tiny in my arms.  I guess I better get use to this!

He's really becoming such a big boy now.  He's doing really well with sleeping in his crib at night.  We get him down somewhere between 10 pm and midnight.  I know that's really late!  But he gets a crazy burst of energy after his 9pm feeding and kicks and coos until we can get him settled enough for sleep.  Some nights he's up every hour and other nights he sleeps 3-5 hours.  We just never know!   I am hoping in the future we can make his bed time around 8 or 9 so Mommy and Daddy can have some time together.  I bring Owen in the room with me at his 6 am feeding and we snuggle for a few hours before starting our day.  I just love this time with him and we both sleep like babies.  I know you aren't supposed to have the little ones in the bed with you, but I figure if he sleeps in his crib all night, then we are entitled to a little snuggle time together.  

The other day I took him in the bathroom and sang to him.  He loved the echoing of my voice.  I'm pretty positive I was singing off key and who knows if I was really singing a real song.  I have mastered the art of  coming up with a tune, such as Silent Night or Lean On Me and adding my own lyrics.  My brother almost killed me on a family vacation when we were kids.  I took the tune of Hey Hey We're the Monkeys and proceeded to add my own words and then repeated that same chorus from Florida all the way home to Georgia.  He wanted to kill me!  I chuckle because I see not much has changed in twenty years.  The only difference now is I finally have someone in my life who appreciates my bad singing.  Owen just looks at me and smiles!  I know this too will change quickly.  Once he learns the lyrics himself, I can hear him telling me, "Mommy that's not how the song goes."  So I will enjoy this while I can!

He has changed our lives so much and each time he looks into my eyes I see such innocence and love. And even though he's only 7 weeks old, when I look back into his eyes, I see a soulfulness that I didn't know babies were capable of having.  For me, the realization that we have the power to shape his personality and life into one of peacefulness and humility, this is the best part of being a Mommy.  Each month I may touch on what a gift he is and I'm sure even on his worse days, I'll see something in him that warms my heart.  In my eyes he truly is a little angel.

Sweet Dreams

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post!!! It gave me chills. I have learned that all those "baby rules" go out the window, you just do what works for you and the baby!!! You are a great Mommy!! Keep taking those pictures because he changes every day and it is hard to remember until you look back at the older pictures.

    ReplyDelete